Our brewers traveled to Tampa last weekend to attend Hunahpu’s Day at Cigar City Brewing, as reported in our last blog post. Truly one of the premiere festivals in the US, Hunahpu’s Day showcases the best of the best beer from around the world, and it was a true honor to attend. It is difficult to really say what beer was the best at the festival, as every brewery brought some amazing beer. That said some of the beers that really stood out, in addition to our very own Excommunication, are as follows:
- Cascade Brewing: Pater Beer – A sour beer
- Cigar City Brewing: Hunahpu’s Stout from 2013 and 2016
- Crooked Stave: Fruity Cedar Box – A sour beer aged on cedar
- Gigantic Brewing: Ume Umai – Experimental black rice and plum beer
- Jolly Pumpkin: Inicios Nuevos – Saison
- NOLA Brewing: Galaxy Lowerline – Sour ale dry hopped with Galaxy
- The Georgia breweries pouring presented some amazing beers that should make beer fans in the state proud. Those breweries include the following in addition to Max Lager’s:
- Wrecking Bar
- Creature Comforts
- Burnt Hickory
- Red Brick
- The Southern Brewing Company
- Wild Heaven
JR and Michael had the honor of meeting with several other great brewers from around the world. In fact, our Hunahpu’s Day pouring neighbors were from Malmo Brewing Company in Sweden, who poured some fantastic beer and were a pleasure to meet. The guys had the opportunity to spend time with Wayne Wambles of Cigar City (JR and Wayne collaborated on Cuvée du Gamelle, a sour beer last year), and Nick Floyd of 3Floyds brewing, to name a few other brewers.
Finally, what beer related trip would be complete if our brewers did not visit a few local Tampa breweries while in town? The guys were able to visit Cigar City, Tampa Bay Brewing, 7th Sun, and Rapp Brewing while in town. 7th Sun was a real highlight, showcasing a very quaffable tap list that any beer drinker would love with fresh and high quality beers. Should you be in the Tampa area any time soon, you would be doing yourself a good service by visiting these breweries.